The Plane Is Full


This past week, traveling back from Nicaragua, I almost got stuck in the Miami airport for a night.  I was traveling with a standby ticket, which is normally not a problem, but I didn’t realize that I was flying home on Columbus Day and just after a carnival festival in the Caribbean.         The result was a very busy Miami airport and very full flights.  Twice my heart sunk as I heard the announcement, “The plane is full.  All standby passengers will be moved to the next flight.” 

First I was told there was no room on my scheduled 7:05 pm flight to LaGuardia.   Then I got bumped off the 8:35 flight.  My only hope of getting back to New York City that evening was a 9:30 flight to JKF.  So I sat by that final gate hoping and praying.  Each time I saw another confirmed passenger come running to the gate to board the plane, my heart sunk a little lower as I thought, “There goes another seat.”  When a few other standby passengers who were ahead of me were called, I almost began to despair.  In my mind I was trying to think through what I would do for the night if I didn’t get a seat on the plane.  Well, you can only imagine how happy I was when I heard, “Mr. Harris” come through the speaker system and the woman at the gate handed me a boarding pass!  I was going home!

Unfortunately, in so many different situations in our lives, space can be limited.  We can’t on the plane. The restaurant can’t take any more reservations.  The show is sold out.  The class is full.  The jobs have all been taken.  And, so it goes. We hope to get in or get on, but there is no more space.  So often, we are left, as it were, sitting at the gate, disappointed and wondering what to do next. 

I’m thankful, however, that such is not the case with the Kingdom of God. When it comes to participating in God’s Kingdom, one will never hear, “I’m sorry, but there is no more room.”  The Bible tells us there is always room for another.  We might say, the plane is never full.

The Bible says, Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10:13 – NIV) and “The Lord…is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9 – NIV)  God never turns anyone away who comes to him. He never says, “There is no more room.”  Instead, he is constantly sending out the invitation, “Come! Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.”  (Revelation 22:17 – NIV)  We could say, there is always space for another “everyone” or another “whoever.” 

I hope you get your seat on the plane, your dinner reservation, or the ticket to the show.  But, more than that, my prayer is that you will find your place in the Kingdom of God. Remember, there is always room for one more.

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments