Sun Glare Slow Downs


Early yesterday morning, I had to travel out to Long Island for some meetings.  When I left my house it was still almost dark, but not soon afterwards the sun began to rise. That’s when the difficulties began. Soon I had to put my visor down, pull out my sunglasses, and adjust my line of sight so as not to be looking directly into the sun.  After traveling a bit further, I found myself having to deal with the morning’s sun glare slow downs. 

If you have to travel east early in the morning, as I do many mornings throughout the week, you know what it’s like to be driving along, make a turn or take a curve and suddenly have the rising sun shining right into your line of vision. And, when this takes place on a road like the Cross Bronx Highway or the Cross Island Parkway, it can mean sudden stops, massive slow downs, and even a few fender-benders. The traffic might not be too heavy and even moving along at a pretty good clip, but, when the sun suddenly blinds the drivers, the situation quickly changes.  Sun glare slow downs are not only difficult to deal with, but even a bit dangerous.

I have found in my life that there are lots of things that can get into my line of sight and hinder me from moving along, as I should.  Difficulties come along that disrupt. Temptations distract. Good things and bad things come into my life and blind me from seeing life, as I ought to see it, and throw me off course.  If I am not careful, I can be blinded by the situations I find myself in, by the cravings of my heart, or even by my own emotions.  The result can be all kinds of disruption and the failure to move forward in the life God has called me to live. At times, it feels like I am facing one sun glare slow down after another.

So, what’s the answer? Do we just pull over to the side of the road and stop moving forward? Do we give up on life?  Do we allow ourselves to be thrown off course?  I believe the answer is found in changing our line of sight.  Instead of looking at that which is blinding us—e.g. the difficulty, the temptation, the situation at hand—we place my eyes on that which will help us keep on moving forward. We need to turn our eyes towards Jesus. 

The hymn writer put it this way: 
“Turn your eyes upon Jesus.
Look full in his wonderful face.
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
 in the light of his glory and grace.” (Helen H. Lemmel)

The Bible says, “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith…” (Hebrews 12:2 – NIV)

Don’t allow the glare from the things of this life to slow you down or send you off course. Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus. He will help you get to where you need to go. 

Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments