Reunited


Since early January, my son Jonathan was doing his study abroad in Costa Rica (along with side trips to Nicaragua and Cuba).  During that time we communicated via email and Skype whenever we could.  And, we were thankful for the communication available to us.  But as you probably know, there is nothing like being face to face with the people you love.

Well, last Thursday we were reunited in Leon, Nicaragua.  I was in the midst of leading a meeting for the parents of the children who attend our school there.  In the back of my mind I knew that Jonathan, who had taken a bus from San Jose, Costa Rica at 3 a.m. that morning, was now on his way by cab from Managua to Leon.  About halfway through the meeting some of the teachers began to stir and left the room.  Out of the corner of my eye I could see down the walkway to where a white cab had pulled up and I knew that Jonathan had arrived.  A few minutes later, our school’s director led Jonathan into the room.  In front of the staff and parents we greeted each other and embraced (I think I gave him a kiss on the neck too!).  From that point on, I couldn’t wait to begin to show him around, introduce him to the people around me, and hear his stories.  It was really cool being reunited with my son in Nicaragua of all places.

Since that day, I’ve been reflecting upon the fact that we who are believers have an incredible reunion ahead of us.  The Bible tells us that one day we will be reunited with Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.  Yes, we appreciate the fact that we can communicate with him through prayer.  We are thankful for his presence with us by means of the Holy Spirit.  But Jesus promised us that one day we will be reunited with him and we will see him face to face.

The Apostle John wrote in his epistle, “But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him for we shall see him as he is.”  (1 John 3:2 – NIV) The Apostle Paul wrote that one day we will“…meet the Lord in the air.  And so we will be with the Lord forever” (1 Thessalonians 4:17 – NIV). Yes, one day we will experience the greatest reunion of all when we are reunited with Jesus!

So, let’s get ready.  Let’s look ahead.  And, let’s be encouraged. The day is coming when we will no longer be separated by time and space. Rather,“…then we shall see face to face.” (1 Corinthians 13:12 – NIV) What a reunion that will be when we are reunited with Jesus!

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

P.S.  You can see a picture of my reunion with Jonathan on my Facebook page.

Comments