Lesson Learned


Last Saturday afternoon, I was at Flushing Meadows Park in Queens, NY having a great day with the people from our churches PIF, CityVine, and La Vina.  That morning we had run a 5K to raise funds for our project in Nicaragua.  The run was followed by a celebration BBQ.  In spite of some drizzly rain, we ran, ate, played Frisbee, etc.  Then it was time for me to leave.  And when I got back to my car, I couldn’t believe what I saw.  Glass was everywhere! The window of one of the rear doors of my car had been smashed in and my briefcase was gone.  Thankfully, I had decided to leave my computer home that morning. I’m sure the thief was greatly disappointed! Nonetheless, I had a smashed window.

I thought to myself as I was cleaning out the glass, I should have known better.  I remember leaving my briefcase on the floor of the backseat area, thinking that the black briefcase on the black carpet would go undetected. And besides, I thought, it was the middle of the day at a busy park.  

Well, I think I’ve learned my lesson: I ought never leave anything that would entice thieves when leaving my car parked anywhere in NYC – or in NJ for that matter! I may not be the wisest or the smartest.  Sometimes it may take a smashed window for me to get the point. But I realize that there are times in life when, if I am wise, I will say to myself, “Lesson learned!”  

The book of Proverbs says, “Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you.  Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.”  (Proverbs 9:8-9 – NIV)  In other words, wise people get wiser; fools become more foolish.  Why? Because wise people learn from their mistakes—as well as from the situations and circumstances of life and from the people God puts into their lives. Wise people are people who are always ready to learn and grow; people who time and again are saying, “Lesson learned!”

Let’s be wise enough to learn a little bit more every day!

Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments