Sitting in the Plaza


Yesterday morning, before leaving Leon, Nicaragua to get my flight out of Managua, I took a brief walk through the city to pick up my daily bananas (I eat a banana almost every morning and especially love the really little ones they sell on the streets there). As I walked, I prayed for the city and for our work there, taking some time to simply absorb the atmosphere of the city.  Eventually, I went to the main plaza, found a bench to sit on, and sat observing what was happening around me. 

The vendors were setting up their stands.  A little boy chased a group of pigeons.  A couple of birds landed in the drinking fountain to take a bath.  People strolled by talking and laughing and arguing.  One guy went by smoking a cigarette obviously preoccupied by his need to get to his destination. A dog came by and lay down not too far from where I was sitting.  I don’t think any of the people nor the birds nor the dog took notice of the fact that I was sitting there taking notice of them.  There I was watching all these people, birds, and dogs, but they were oblivious to my presence. As they went about their lives and daily routines, they had no idea that I was there watching them. 

Jesus said that God is always watching over our world and lives, even to the point that he sees when a sparrow falls out of a tree.  He is observing, taking note of every detail. Yet, I know that so often I live my life almost oblivious to the fact that God is near; that he is watching over me.  I go about my daily routines and life’s business, forgetting that my heavenly Father sees it all, taking note of every detail of my life, and is always ready to help.

The Psalmist wrote, “The Lord watches over you…The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” (Psalm 121:5, 7-8 – NIV) 

You might not realize it today, but God is watching over your life. He sees the good and the bad.  He knows your joys and your struggles.  And, he not only watches, he is as well willing to involve himself in every part of your life.  Be encouraged, God is not just watching you, he is watching over you!

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments