Bird Watching 101

Although I’ve never been what you would call an official “bird watcher,” I have always enjoyed watching birds. In fact, I remember how when I was a kid, my grandmother bought me a bird watcher’s field guide to help me identify the birds in my backyard.  And, recently my son Nathaniel accused me of driving while looking up at the birds! 

Well, who would have thought that one of my kids would be taking a college class in ornithology – i.e. the study of birds?  But, it’s true.  This semester, for his science elective, Jonathan has been taking a class about birds (note: I didn’t say a course that’s for the birds!).
Of course the curriculum includes required field work or, going bird watching.  So Jonathan has been keeping a journal of all the birds he has seen and been able to identify since the beginning of the semester.  I do find it pretty interesting.  Besides, it  gives us something more to talk about, and even argue about – e.g. Was that an American crow or a turkey vulture?

Did you know that God is a bird watcher? Not for the sake of identifying what kind of bird just flew by his window or landed in his backyard.  Of course, he can identify the birds much better than we can. After all, he created them.  Rather, he is watching the birds because he cares for them.

Through the Psalmist God said, “I know every bird in the mountains….” (Psalm 50:11 -
NIV)  Jesus said, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.” (Matthew 6:26-NIV)  But, Jesus then went on to say, “Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” (Matthew 6:26-27-NIV)

In other words, God may be a “bird watcher,”  but he is even more so a “people watcher” – watching over his people both day and night.  And, if God is willing to take care of the birds, then of course he is going to the same, and even more so, for those who are his children.   

Be encouraged to know that God is watching over your life.

Have a great day!

-Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments