Avoiding Traffic

Commuting between New Jersey and Queens is not always the easiest commute. With two bridges to cross and a choice between the Cross Bronx Expressway or the Harlem River Drive and the Grand Central Parkway, there are a lot of variables that can affect the trip.  One stalled vehicle or a minor fender-bender can easily turn the 18 mile, half-hour commute into an hour and a half trip.

To make the trip as smoothly and as quickly as possible, I have become very dependent on my Google Maps app that I’ve downloaded to my Blackberry.  For those who haven’t used it before, when one brings up the map they can set it to show the flow of traffic. Green means everything is moving fine; yellow that the traffic is moving slowly; red that the traffic is at a crawl; red with a black line in it, that’s a really bad sign!  Before venturing onto the highway, I always check the map in order to figure out the best way to travel so as not to end up sitting unnecessarily in traffic.  (Of course sometimes there is no best way!) It is not infrequent that I am thankful for my Google Maps app.  After all, I love avoiding traffic.

I realize, however, that there are many other things in my life that I ought to avoid besides traffic.  No, I’m not referring to too many calories or too much cholesterol. Rather, the steady flow of bad attitudes that seek to make their way into my heart, the stream of hurtful words that can so easily come out of my mouth; the congestion of negative thoughts that want to fill my mind, these are all examples of the kind of “traffic” that can slow my life down to a crawl and keep me from getting to where God wants me to be.

The Bible says, “Avoid every kind of evil” (1 Thessalonians 5:22).  That includes every wrong action, thought, or attitude. It is a call for us to be diligent in doing our part not to end up stuck in the middle of the “traffic” of this world.  We are to do our best to avoid anything and everything that can keep us from our God-given destination.

Unfortunately, there is no Google Map to help us avoid the “traffic” of the heart and mind. There is no Blackberry app to help us find a way around the evil of this world.  But with God’s help, we can avoid those things that slow us down and keep us from being all that God has called us to be.  Through his Word and by his Holy Spirit, we will get to our God-given destination.  

Have a great day!

-Pastor Tim Harris
   

Comments