The God of the Passover

Tonight, Monday, April 18, 2011, is the first night of Passover. Thus, Jewish families all around the world are sitting together this evening sharing in the Passover Seder. As they do, they will eat various foods that help them not only remember but actually relive the Exodus experience of their forefathers who were miraculously set free from Egyptian bondage. For example, as they taste the parsley dipped in salt water, they will taste the tears of those who labored under Pharaoh. As they eat the sweet apple and nut mixture called charoset, they will taste the sweetness of their God-given freedom. My family and I will be sharing in the Seder later this week (we are waiting for our son, Jonathan to get home from college).

One of the major components of the Passover Seder are the four cups of wine that are received as a memorial to the four promises God gave to his people through Moses. These promises are denoted by the four “I wills” of Exodus 6:6-7 which says, “I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God.” (Exodus 6:6-7-NIV) (Note: The last sentence has two “I will’s,” but they are counted as one.)

What wonderful promises God gave to his people! More than that, how wonderful to think that God fulfilled every promise he made. It’s no wonder the Jewish people want to both commemorate and celebrate what God has done. Through the events of the Exodus, God showed himself to be faithful to his people. Yes, the God of the Passover is a faithful God .

No matter what may be happening in your life, remember that God is the same today as he has always been. He is still the God of the Passover—a God who is always true to his word. As he was faithful to his people in the days of the Exodus, so he will be faithful to you today!

“The LORD is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made.” (Psalm 145:13-NIV)

Have a great day! And, happy Passover to my Jewish friends!

-Pastor Tim Harris

Comments