Feeding the Birds

The other day, as I was walking our dog Mable, I noticed our new neighbor who lives behind us throwing something out onto the snow. As I walked by, I asked him if what he was throwing was bird seed. He replied quite matter-of-factly (and as if rebuking me), “Of course, it’s bird seed. How else will the birds find something to eat in the snow?” I was a bit taken back by the insinuation that it was my responsibility, as well as his, to make sure the birds had enough to eat during this season. Although, I might throw some stale bread out to the birds, I’ve never thought about buying bird seed to spread out each morning. For me, it’s enough trying to remember to feed the dog!

I was reminded however of Jesus’ words found in Matthew 6:26, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” (NIV)

Just like my neighbor, God is concerned for and takes care of the birds (as well of all of creation). But even more so, God, our heavenly Father, takes care of us, his children. Why? Because as Jesus says, we are valuable to him – more valuable than the birds and the flowers and any other part of creation. Thus, Jesus says, we ought not give into worry regarding the provisions of life for we are “much more valuable (to God) than they.”

I want to encourage you today to remember just how valuable you are to God. You are his child for whom he gave his very best, his Son, Jesus. You are the “apple of his eye.” He loves you. He values you greatly. That being the case, he will take care of you, meeting every need that you have this day.

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:33-NIV)

Have a great day!

-Pastor Tim Harris

Comments