Another World

As I write this first of my new series of “pastor’s devotions,” I’m back up in the Adirondack Mountains with my family. I’m currently looking out the window of our cabin at the lake gleaming in the sun. The boats are gently rocking. A duck passes by here and there. Early this morning we watched as an osprey dived into the water to catch a fish. It feels like we’ve traveled to another world.

Yet, even as my family and I enjoy the peacefulness of the lake and the mountains, I know that there is a world beyond these mountains filled with need. People throughout our world are facing natural disasters, war, famine. Many are dealing with the pain of broken relationships, broken promises, broken dreams. Some don’t know how they are going to make it through another day. Unfortunately, for most people around our world, life is not filled with the serenity of these mountains, but with conflict and confusion. Most are longing for another world.

Maybe today you are one of those people who senses that longing. You may be facing some kind of pain in your life. It may be that something has broken in your life. You may be carrying a burden that seems too heavy to bear. I want to remind you that the Bible is filled with promises for those who sense their need for another world.

God has promised us a world far different than the one in which we now live, a world where “There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain….” (Rev 21:4 – NIV) Jesus spoke of that other world to his disciples saying, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” (John 14:1-4 – NIV)

You may not be in the mountains or by a lake. And even if you are, you know as I do that, eventually you have to step back into the real world. Yet, we can find peace and hope knowing that we have a God who loves us and who is right now preparing a place for us in a world beyond this one in which we now live. Our destiny as believers is to live with our Savior forever in another world!

Have a great day!


-Pastor Tim Harris

Comments

  1. Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

    We do not follow religion, but we share in this intimate relationship with Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who intercedes for us before Our Heavenly Father..and assures us the hope that can only come through Him.. AMEN!!

    Ephesians 6:18

    "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment