Acorns Keep Falling on My Head

With the nice weather we’ve been having, my family and I have tried to get some time in on our deck in the backyard. After all, the colder weather will soon be here, when it will no longer be so pleasant to sit outside. Even this morning I took my coffee out and had my devotions on the deck. In fact, right now, as I am writing, I’m sitting on the deck, enjoying the outdoors. It really is a very nice setting.

There is, however, one problem. There is a huge oak tree in the one corner of the yard whose branches hang towards the house. And, this time of the year the oak tree is dropping its acorns – many of them onto our deck. Some of them are even falling perilously close to my head. Especially when the squirrels are running through its branches, I can begin to feel as if I am being bombed by acorns. In order to protect myself, I have to make sure I am sitting far enough under the umbrella so as not to get hit. Every so often I hear an acorn hit the top of the umbrella and roll off onto the deck, missing my head by mere inches. Our deck umbrella has become not just shade from the sun but protection from the acorns that threaten to hit me in the head! (There goes another one!)

Most of us have periods in our lives when it can feel as if acorns are falling all around us, threatening to hit us at any time. We go through times when we need protection from the things that life throws our way. Thankfully, we have a shelter from the acorns of life. That shelter is found in God.

God never promised to remove all the difficulties that life may bring our way. He never said that we would have no troubles. But, he has promised to be our shelter in our times of storm.

Psalm 27:5 – “For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle….” (NIV)

Psalm 91:1-2 – “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’"
(NIV)

Isaiah 25:4 – “You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm….” (NIV)

Today if you feel as if life is throwing acorns at you, go to God. Let him shelter you and protect you. He will keep you safe.

Have a great day!

-Pastor Tim Harris

Comments