Awakened By the Birds!

For the past few weeks now, I have been awaken by the sound of birds outside our bedroom window, especially a cardinal or two. It seems that they feel that 4:30 in the morning is the perfect time to start their calling. Soon after, all the other birds begin to join in. Before you know it, it’s a cacophony of birds calling, chirping, whistling, singing, and even crowing—all seemingly for the purpose of waking me up (which I do fight against!). 

Out of curiosity to know what kinds of birds are in the trees around me, the other day as I was walking Sadie, I turned on the bird ID app that I have on my phone. (Yes, I have a bird ID app on my phone!) I set it on “Sound ID” and began to record the bird calls and songs around me. It quickly listed ten species of birds. There was the cardinal of course. But there was as well a Carolina wren, house sparrow, a woodpecker, mocking bird, and more. That’s a lot of birds in the trees, all trying to wake me up! 

Did you know the Bible often refers to the Kingdom of God as a tree filled with birds? In Ezekiel’s vision God says, “On the mountain heights of Israel I will plant it; it will produce branches and bear fruit and become a splendid cedar. Birds of every kind will nest in it; they will find shelter in the shade of its branches.” (Ezekiel 17:23 – NIV) 

Daniel wrote regarding his vision, “The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth.  Its leaves were beautiful, its fruit abundant, and on it was food for all. Under it the wild animals found shelter, and the birds lived in its branches; from it every creature was fed.” (Daniel 4:11-12) 

Jesus said, “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field.  Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.” (Matthew 13:31-32) 

After reading those verses, I think the next time the birds in the trees begin to awaken me with their cacophony of calls and whistles, chirps and songs, I’m going to consider that just maybe all those birds are meant to be a reminder to me that the Kingdom of God is on its way. In fact, maybe we all need to be reminded that, through the person and work of Jesus the Kingdom of God has already begun to break into our world and into our lives; that the Kingdom of God is already among us and is steadily growing. 

Jesus preached, “The Kingdom of God is near!”  Maybe the birds in the trees can help us remember how true that is! 

Have a great day!

- Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments