Christmas In Nicargua

A week ago I returned from a five day trip to Leon, Nicaragua. It had been almost four years since I’d been there so it was great to reconnect with people I’ve loved and worked with for many years. Although I’ve been there every season of the year, this was my first time there in the month December. What struck me immediately was that Christmas was everywhere! Santa’s, Christmas trees, light displays, etc. were in every store, street, and park. Some of it had a bit of a Latin American flare to it, but one could tell that much of it had been imported from the US. Nonetheless, it was Christmas wherever you looked!  

Well, that was in the city. One afternoon, however, I went out of the city to the poor community of Troilo where I would visit a young man I’ve known for about 12 years, Dary. In his community, there was close to nothing that was Christmas. No Christmas trees, lights, or Santa’s. When I arrived at his home, Dary who is now almost 18, almost totally blind, and has little use of his left hand and arm, was sitting on a plastic chair in his dirt front yard. His home and a few other structures on the property were made of sheet metal and plastic tarps. Chickens and other animals were running around. Dary was obviously among the poorest of the poor. It was hardly the setting for a “very merry Christmas.” 

Dary was obviously glad to have me and the others who were with me come and visit. I brought him some gifts. We talked and laughed. With our help, he took us to see the river near his home where he likes to swim. We then decided to take him and grandmother into the city for lunch. It was a great afternoon together. Dary then went home, back to his dirt yard, fragile home, and to an unknown future. He went back to where there was little that represented the Christmas I know. I wish I could have brought him home with me. 

Over the past week, as I’ve been reading through the gospel accounts of the birth of Jesus, I’ve been struck that the situation into which Jesus was born was probably much closer to Dary’s than to mine. After all, Jesus was birthed into poverty, a nation and world filled with economic and political instability, and a life of great hardship. When Jesus was born, it was not in the midst of luxury or even minimal comfort; rather, he was born in a barn with the smell and dirt of barn animals and placed in their feeding trough. And, his arrival was announced first, not to kings but to poor shepherds, living on the outskirts of the town. It was all a bit more like Dary’s world than mine. And, I might say, thankfully so. 

After all, the majority of our world throughout history has probably lived closer to Dary’s world than to mine here in middle class America. Thus, the birth of Jesus and the circumstances into which he was born have spoken well throughout the ages to the masses of people who have found themselves living with desperation, a sense of hopelessness, and knowing that they need someone to come as their savior.  Thus, the hope found in the angel’s words: “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.” (Luke 2:10-11 – NIV; emphasis mine) 

Whether we are rich or poor, Jesus has come for each of us to save us and give us hope—especially the hope of eternal life. But if you find yourself this Christmas feeling a bit desperate, hopeless, lonely, afraid, and uncertain of what your future may hold—if you find yourself living closer to Dary’s world than to that which is portrayed in the trees and lights—you can know that Jesus came especially for you. And, he will be the One who will save you, keep you, and place in your heart a hope and joy such as can never be found in this world. 

So, Merry Christmas to each of you—but especially to Dary and to all who find themselves this Christmas in a world like his. 

Have a great Christmas! 

- Pastor Tim Harris  


Comments