After the Race!

As many of you know, this past Saturday I ran my first half marathon. It was a great day, the climax of twelve weeks of training.  When I crossed the finish line my legs were tired, but I was pumped; I had accomplished my goal and did it in better time than I thought I could. I was definitely on a high for about a day.

By late Sunday, however, the fatigue began to kick-in, not just in the legs but in my whole body. I had given it everything I had and now my body was saying, “rest.” Thus, I entered into  recovery mode. No major running for about a week, just walking, light motion on a stationary bike, some light weight training, and on day five just a short easy run. But not only was my body tired, I began to feel a little down; the post-race blues began to hit. I began wondering what to do next and how to schedule any upcoming running. I found myself looking online for other races, trying to figure out when I could race again, what kind of training I would need to go through, and how long it would take. 

Most importantly, I began to reflect on the process I had been through and all that I had just experienced. It was time for me to stop and think about all I had learned about running, about discipline and consistency, about myself, and about what it means to finish a long race and cross a finish line. I began to think about what it means to persevere through the hard things that might come my way in life. I’ve had to take time to reflect on the importance of finishing not just a half marathon or 5K, but my life’s race…and finishing it well. 

The Apostle Paul’s words have come to mind: “…my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me….” (Act 20:24) and “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” (2 Timothy 4:7)  And for him there were no post-race blues for he knew that when he finished his race there was a reward so much better than any earthly medal: “Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.” (1 Corinthians 9:25) 

As I reflect on last week’s race (and even deal with some of the post-race blues), I remind myself that there is a much more important race that I am running—and there is a much better reward in store. Thus, I am trying to make Apostle’s words my own as I seek to run the race that God has placed before me: “…my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me…,”  I pray that you will do the same. 

“…let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us….” (Hebrews 12:1) 

Have a great day! 

- Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments