Running Through the Woods!

As of a couple of weeks ago, here in New Jersey all of the state and county parks were closed to promote social distancing (which as you may know from an earlier post, I prefer to call “physical distancing”). Following the state’s lead, most of the municipal parks have been shut down as well. In fact, the town I live in, Eatontown, had already closed all parks that had playgrounds in them. However, one park has remained open; it is an arboretum that is somewhat behind the neighborhood in which I live. It is simply a small set of woods with some trails that weave through the trees and even over a brook. 

Since my options as to where I can run have become quite limited, I have now been doing all of my runs from my house, up the block behind me, and into the arboretum. Most of the time I run on my own, sometimes I take our dog Sadie with me. It’s actually a very pleasant place to run since the ground is mostly soft on the knees, the trees protect from too much sun and wind, and the overall atmosphere is quite relaxing. However, I have found that as I run, I need to constantly check the ground before me, lest I trip on a hidden root, slip on a pinecone, run into a branch that’s sticking out, or twist my ankle on a misplaced rock.  I’ve really got to stay aware of what it is before me and around me so that I don’t end up limping home—or, worse yet having to call Kim to come and get me!

With all that is taking place these days in regard to this Covid-19 pandemic and the effect it has had upon each of our lives, to me it has begun to feel like we are on a run through a wood filled with all kinds of obstacles and hazards. There seem to be so many things around us that have the potential to discourage our faith, steal our joy, or just sap us of our strength. If we’re not careful, we can end up discouraged, downcast, and filled with all kinds of thoughts of despair. Before you know it, emotionally and spiritually we can end up on the ground!

The prophet Jeremiah had begun to feel that way when he and his nation were going through a terrible time of disaster. In the book of Lamentations, he says, I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.”  Jeremiah was getting tripped up by the terrible things that were happening around him. He was falling into great despair. And, who could blame him? But he then went on to say, “Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion; therefore, I will wait for him.’” (Lamentations 3:19-24 – NIV)

I want to encourage you (and me), to not allow the negative circumstances we find ourselves in to trip us up. Let’s not allow the things that are happening around us or to us to keep us from moving forward in faith, nor to rob us of our strength and joy.  Rather, let’s remember “the Lord’s great love” and that “his compassions never fail.” Let’s continue to run filled with faith in the God who has promised to always be faithful to his people. He is the one who fills us with “strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow!”  (Thomas Chisholm)


Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments