The Seal that Didn't Want to Be Rescued!




Earlier this week, Kim and I and our dog Sadie were walking the beach in Long Branch (NJ), when suddenly Sadie started pulling down towards the water. At first, I pulled her back, but then I caught a glimpse of something laying on the sand. As we cautiously got a little closer, I realized it was a small grey seal. I couldn’t believe it. It was the first time I had ever seen a seal up on the beach here at the Jersey Shore. I pulled Sadie away.

The little guy (or gal) was on its back and seemed not to be moving all that much. Another couple came along and insisted that something must have been wrong, so they called Animal Rescue and then the police.  As I got closer, the little seal scooted a few feet away and then turned on its back again. He seemed to be ok; I really didn’t think there was anything we could or ought to do (except make sure Sadie didn’t get too close!). When the policeman came, he said they see seals on the beach all the time and that there is nothing they could do. In fact, when the officer got closer, the seal actually growled at him (or whatever sound it is that seals make). Apparently, the little seal didn’t want to, nor need to, be saved! 

The little seal that didn't want to be rescued!
But then, I’ve been thinking. What if the seal actually did need some help and he just didn’t realize it? What if his life was in danger and we were in reality his only real hope for help? After all, he was seemingly young and all by himself. Once he went back into the waters, who or what was going to protect him from sharks or other predators? Maybe he should have allowed someone to help him and save him, but he just didn’t realize his need.

It seems to me that, at times we are all like that little seal. There are times when we think everything’s ok, when maybe it’s not. We become quite self-sufficient and reliant upon ourselves, but we don’t always understand the dangers that lurk around us, nor our inability to handle the stuff that comes our way. We tend to think we’ve got it all under control—and try to keep it under control. Thus, we fail to call upon the One who is more than willing and able to help us in our time of need.  Rather than turning him away, we ought to be praying and asking for him to intervene in our lives; he may be our only hope for the help, healing, and salvation that we need.

In his time of need, the psalmist wrote, “Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me…Into your hands I commit my spirit; deliver me, Lord, my faithful God.”
(Psalm 31:1, v5 – NIV) Notice how he put aside his pride and self-sufficiency in favor of calling upon the God whom he knew to be his only hope of salvation. 

Maybe today you need to pray a prayer like that. Rather than trying to handle life on your own, call upon the name of the Lord. As you do, he will come to your side and help you through whatever may come your way.

“He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.” (Psalm 91:15 – NIV)

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments