The Birthday Psalm!


The month of June is a month of birthdays within my extended family.  It began with my sister Faith whose birthday is on the 11th.  Then came my first nephew Matthew, born on June 2nd.  His sister, Mariel has her birthday on June 20th. My daughter Joanna was born on the 17th. And another nephew, Danny, was born on the 18th.  My brother John’s second son, Nathan was born on June 16. Then, when my brother John and his wife were expecting their fourth child, Levi, who was due around June 20, I told them they should have him on June 19 so that we would be able to complete the sequence (i.e. June 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)—which, they graciously and unexpectedly did! In total that makes seven birthdays within the month of June for us as a family!  (And, it is hard to keep up with them all!)

A number of years ago my Greek grandmother told me that on each of our birthdays she read Psalm 91 on our behalf and prayed it over our lives. It was something she did for years without any of us knowing it. I have since tried to incorporate my grandmother’s tradition into my life as much as possible when the birthdays of my family members roll around.  Thus, this month I’ve been reading Psalm 91, our birthday psalm, a lot!

Psalm 91 makes for a good birthday psalm as it was meant to encourage the reader to trust God through all the stuff that life might bring their way.  The psalmist writes things like, “Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare…He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge…A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you…he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.”  (vs. 3, 4, 7, 11) Notice that the psalm is not a denial of life’s difficulties, but a promise for God’s help and protection throughout their life. In my opinion, the words to this psalm are so much more encouraging than any Hallmark card could ever be!

There is within the psalm, however, a condition: “If you say, ‘The Lord is my refuge and you make the Most High your dwelling...’” (vs. 9) and “‘Because he loves me…He will call on me…’” (vs. 14, 15) In other words, God’s promise for help and protection are for those who will live in relationship with God, trusting him with their lives. Thus, my prayer for my loved ones is not just for God’s protection over their lives but that each of them would come to know him, love him, and live in relationship with him. Only in and through such a relationship with God can the blessings of God be found. And, that’s true not just on our birthdays, but throughout our lives.

Today might not be your birthday or that of anyone you know, but let me encourage you to read Psalm 91 and apply it to your life by doing the following: (1) Make sure you are living your life in relationship with God; (2) Trust God with your life, calling on him as you allow him to be your refuge, help, and strength.  




Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments