The Thrill Of the Finish Line!




It was last year’s Labor Day that I ran my first 5K Race.  I began running back in June of that year, setting a goal for myself to be able to run my first race on Labor Day at a 9 minute pace.  That may not sound too fast to some, but for me that was a reasonable goal.  Although I hit that pace during some practice runs in August, I fell short on race day itself, having run a 9:07 pace (5K in 28:13).  This year, however, has been a different story.  I’ve now run four races this summer, having broken the 9 minute pace a couple of times.  And in fact, on Labor Day of this year, I hit a personal record, running the same race as last year at an 8:44 pace (5K in 27:06 minutes)! 

Now I will tell you, running is not my favorite thing to do. In fact, as I’m running a race I sometimes begin thinking to myself, “Why am I doing this?” or, “This is going to be my last race!”  When the exhaustion begins to set in I want to give up and say, “I just can’t do this.”  But, I keep going thinking about the thrill of crossing the finish line and what it is going to be like to find my wife, Kim, and others at the end cheering me on. And, once the finish line comes into view I somehow find the energy to kick it into a higher gear. In the end, it’s all about the thrill of crossing that line!

That's not me, but that's how I feel when I cross the finish line!
The writer of the book of Hebrews wrote these words of encouragement to believers who, in the midst of their race of faith were beginning to feel tired and tempted to give up, “…let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”  (Hebrews 12:1-3 – NIV) 

It’s an encouragement to do as Jesus did: to set our eyes on the goal—i.e. the finish line—and allow it to motivate us to keep on running.  It’s an exhortation to not give into feelings of discouragement or exhaustion, but to keep on living out this life of faith, knowing that when we finish this race, like our Savior, we too will experience an incredible joy.  It will be at that finish line that we will meet him face to face and experience the most incredible thrill at the most incredible finish line of all!

So, today if you hear a voice telling you to give up, to throw in the towel, that your too tired to keep on running, set your eyes on the finish line, look towards Jesus, and hear the voice of God saying, “Keep on running!  There is an incredible joy awaiting you at the finish line!”  One day you will experience the thrill of the finish line!

Keep on running! Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments