Keep On Climbing!




As some of you may know, for a number of years my sons Jonathan, Nathaniel, and I have been going to rock climbing gyms. A few years back we all took a class to learn how to belay the ropes and then got our own gear (shoes, harness, chalk bag).   It’s been both fun and challenging to develop the strength, stamina and technique to climb 30-40 foot walls using routes of greater and greater difficulty.  However, this past week we faced our greatest challenge of all (that is, when it comes to rock climbing): we went climbing on real/outdoor cliffs!

About a month ago, Jonathan took a class to learn how to set up the ropes for outdoor top rope climbing.  And, he purchased all the gear needed: specialized ropes, belay device, carabiners and helmets. On Monday, when Kim, Nathaniel, and I were down visiting with Jonathan and his wife Danielle we went to some cliffs by the Potomac River known for top rope climbing. Jonathan set up the ropes and first he, then Nathaniel, and then I scaled our first cliff, about 40 feet high. 

It was quite different from climbing indoors and, at least for me, quite intimidating.  When it came my turn to climb, I wasn’t sure I could do it. I started a few times and had difficulty getting past the first section of the climb. After a few tries I wanted to give up. But, my sons wouldn’t let me. Once past that first section, I began to climb higher and again got to a point where I felt stuck. I was ready to give up and come back down. Now, however, not only were my sons calling for me to continue climbing, but so were my wife Kim and my daughter-in-law Danielle!  With four voices below me yelling to me to keep on climbing and shouting, “You can do it,” I finally made it all the way to the top!  And, I was glad I did. In fact, I even did it a second time!

Yes, that's me on the wall!
I’m reminded today of the incredible affect our words of encouragement can have on one another. After all, we all hit times in our lives when we want to give up. We might say, at times we all find ourselves unable to climb any higher—or so we think.  That’s exactly when we need each other.  That exactly when we need people around us who will encourage us and even challenge us to keep on climbing!

The Scriptures say, “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (Hebrews 10:23-25 – NIV)

Let’s be reminded of today of how much we need each other and the important role that we play in each other’s lives, especially when it comes to this life of faith.  I need you to encourage me. You need me to encourage you. So, let’s find ways to shout into each other’s lives and into the lives of those around us, “Keep on climbing!”  With each other’s help, we will make it all the way to the top!   

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments