Esperanza Para Mi Segunda Casa! (Hope For My Second Home!)

This week I have become consumed by the events taking place in the country of Nicaragua. Since the year 2000 I have been working in that nation, first with missionaries to build a Bible school, then helping lead a Christian school, working with a church, and helping with a child support program. First it was in the city of Matagalpa and then in the city of Leon.  In fact, over the past eight years, I have continually been in and out of the country, specifically to Leon, sometimes up to six times in one year. I have called the city of Leon, “Mi segunda casa”—i.e. “my second home,”—for it is a city with which I have become very familiar and in which I have so many people with whom I feel personally connected. I know not only the people with whom I have worked but as well shop keepers, hotel and restaurant workers, people within the churches, children and families who are part of our programs and school. 

In case you don’t know (after all, it’s not headline news here in the States), last week retirees and then students began protests against the government.  Quickly the police and military, as well as other pro-government forces, stepped in and became violent towards the protesters.  To date, 63 persons, mostly students, have been killed and 15 more are missing.  It has been a shock to the nation, as it all seemed to escalate so quickly and to a level no one could have predicted. 

Tens of thousands of people marching on Monday! 
My great concern has been for all of my friends there, many whom I count as family. My heart has been broken as I’ve watched a part of the city of Leon burn, as I’ve heard the fear in the voices of those I’ve been able to speak to, as I’ve realized with them that, the future of their city and nation right now seems so unclear. Yet, in the midst of it all, I know there is hope. In fact, the pastors, missionaries, and others with whom I’ve been in contact all speak of the hope that they have for their nation and for the people of Nicaragua. Thus, the churches are fasting and praying. Christians are proclaiming the gospel.  And, the hearts of the people are open.  Many are believing God for a change in the spiritual climate of the country. 

The Christians of Nicaragua have been holding onto the words of scripture,  “…if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14 – NIV) Thus, filled with hope they are praying for their nation, believing that in and through the circumstances they currently face, God will bring forgiveness and healing to their land; God will bring his salvation to many. 

Their hope is contagious. Thus, as I pray with them for their nation I am praying filled with hope for them and their people.   Will you pray with me for the people of Nicaragua? Will you hope with me, not only for them, but for all the peoples of our world who today find themselves suffering—believing that out of each of these terrible circumstances, God is going to bring about something incredibly good!

Yo tengo esperanza para mi segunda casa, Leon! I have hope for my second home, Leon!

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments