Every Tribe/Every Nation!

For the past 20 years I’ve had the privilege of pastoring in multicultural and cross-cultural settings.  This has meant having people around me of various races, ethnicities, and cultures from all different parts of the world.  I’ve been surrounded by people who speak different languages, eat foods I wasn’t used to eating, and who often have different ways of thinking.  My family and I have grown accustomed to Korean soondubu and kimbap, Jamaican goat curry, Columbian arepas, Salvadorean papusas, and Philippino lechon and lumpia, and the list could go on.  I’ve learned to speak some Spanish as well a few words and phrases in Portuguese and Korean.  I’ve done Nigerian baby naming ceremonies, given opening greetings at weddings in Greek, Spanish, and Korean, as well as worn beautiful outfits from India, Ghana, and other parts of the world that were brought to me by some very generous friends.

Most of all, I’ve been reminded that, although they may have different colors of skin, speak different languages, and have different customs, each one is an incredible part of the Church of Jesus Christ! And, many have reminded me time and again of the importance of world missions and the missions emphasis of the local church. In fact, many people who have come into our churches from different parts of the world can trace their spiritual heritage to the missionaries who were sent out from our nation and by our churches.  I think of a man from Costa Rica who came to the Lord through an Assembly of God missionary who was ministering in his hometown.  I’ve spoke to many in the Korean church who trace their roots back to the Presbyterian and then Assembly of God missionaries who went to Korea, especially after the Korean War.  I’ve met African believers who can tell of being led to Christ by missionaries who came to their villages, even in some very remote places.  And such has been the case for many whom I have met from Sri Lanka, India, China, Latin America, etc.  What a blessing it’s been to meet up close and personal the fruit of world missions!

This week is our church’s missions convention.  Our theme, as given to us by our national missions department is, “Every Tribe/Every Nation.”   Through it, and through the missionaries who will be with us, we will be reminded that the gospel of Jesus Christ is for all people—for people in every part of the world, for people of every color, race, culture, and language.  For ultimately, God’s heart’s desire is that heaven would be filled with people from every tribe and every nation. Thus, if our lives are to represent His heart, then we must do all we can to take the gospel to every corner of our world.

So today, I ask you just one question: what will you do to bring the gospel to every tribe and every nation? 

“After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: “Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.” (Revelation 7:9-10 – NIV)

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments