Violence as Entertainment?

Sometimes I’ve wondered where our acceptance of violence as entertainment would lead us as a culture.  Our movies have sensationalized every aspect of violence, from battle scenes that have become bloodier and bloodier to horror flicks that seem to have no limit.  The video games played by both our kids and adults put the individual behind a gun or tank and allow them to experience some sort of pleasure from killing people or blowing things up in a very realistic manner.  And, without getting into the gun debate, I will admit, I’ve never quite understood how it is that so many people have become enamored with objects that are meant to kill and destroy—not only those needed for protection or for hunting, but ones that are used for complete destruction.  Even our sports have become increasingly violent. When you put it all together, it seems we’ve created a culture that accepts violence as a means of entertainment.  In some ways, we’re not that far off from the ancient Romans who entertained themselves with gladiators who fought to the death or cheered as lions chased and killed Christians or anyone else they considered disposable. 

I know that there is no simplistic answer to what happened in Las Vegas this past week. And, I know that not everyone who watches a violent movie or plays a video game or goes to a shooting range to try out an automatic weapon becomes a killer.  That is for sure.  But, I am concerned that we have drifted away from God’s heart for us as a society in this area and moved towards something he never intended for us as the highest of his creation. And, I’m concerned that we have created a space for those, albeit few among us, who will take the leap from violence as entertainment to violence as a way of life.

I know none of these things are easy for us to work through.  Each of us needs to process them, ask the right questions, and determine how we will allow ourselves to be entertained and what it is we will find acceptable for our lives, our families, and for our society.  For me, as I have sought to live out a biblical lifestyle, I have done what I can to reject violence as a form of entertainment in my life.  I avoid movies that glorify it, refuse to play games that create pleasure from it, and have decided that I will not allow myself to become enamored with instruments that are meant to produce it.  Most of all, I will mourn the violence I see around me—not only when it rears its head in the massacres we’ve seen, but the violence that rears its head daily, quietly destroying the lives of our people one at a time. 

In Genesis 6 we read, Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence…So God said to Noah, ‘I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them.’” (Genesis 6:11, 13 – NIV)  I know that there are many sins within our culture and society of which we can speak and for which God can judge us. But, in light of not only what happened this week in Las Vegas, but what we find in our streets, schools, homes, etc., on almost a daily basis, it may be time that we as followers of Christ take a stand and reject where our culture has taken us.  It may be time that we say “no” to violence as entertainment. 

After all, Jesus said, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.”  (Matthew 5:9 – NIV)

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments