Missing the End of the Game!

I don’t follow baseball too closely during much of the season, but I do love the postseason. And this year, I really enjoyed watching the World Series.  Unfortunately, most of the games went pretty late into the evening.  Knowing I needed to get up early the next morning, I would eventually go to sleep before the end of the game and get the final score the next day (which I would check on my phone as soon as my alarm went off!). But, as the series between the Cubs and the Indians progressed and each game became more and more significant, I would stay up just a little bit later watching. When it came to the final game, I was determined to watch until the very end. I was not going to miss the last couple of innings. 

By the time that final game got to the bottom of the ninth inning, the game was tie, it was midnight, and a rain delay was called—and, in spite of the excitement, my eyes were beginning to close.  I was losing my ability to stay awake.  My determination began to wane.  Who knew how long the rain delay was going to last?  How many innings would it take to finish off the game? Would I have to wait and watch until 2 a.m. or later?  I couldn’t do it.  I had to go to bed. My spirit was willing, but my flesh was weak!

As many of you know, the rain delay lasted only seventeen minutes and only one more inning was needed to complete the game in order for the Cubs to take home their first World Series win in 108 years.  I had missed it! In the end, I missed the best part of the game—all because I couldn’t stay awake; I couldn’t continue to wait and watch. 

Jesus, speaking about the coming of the Kingdom of God, tells a parable about ten maidens with oil lamps who were supposed to be waiting and watching for the arrival of a bridegroom.  Eventually, they all became sleepy and dozed off. When the bridegroom finally arrived, those who had brought with them extra oil for their lamps were prepared, but those who had not brought extra oil missed out on his arrival.  Jesus concludes the parable with these words: “Therefore, keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.”  (Matthew 25:13 – NIV)

It’s one thing to miss the end of a baseball game; it’s quite another to miss the coming of the Kingdom of God and the return of our Savior, Jesus! We must be ready. We must stay awake. We must keep watch for his coming as we continue filled with faith, perseverance, and determination.  Let’s not miss out on the end of the most important game of all!

“…keep watch, because you do not know on what day our Lord will come.” (Matthew 24:42 – NIV)

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments