The Privilege of Being a Pastor

Next week it will be one year since my family and I came to our “new church,” Shrewsbury First Assembly (SFA). I can’t believe how time has flown by!  Through this year, we’ve settled into a new home, gotten to know a new part of New Jersey (especially the beaches!), and most of all have begun to pastor a new group of people. It’s been a privilege to get to know the people of SFA and begin to minister to them and lead them.  I feel honored to be in this place, at this time, with this part of God’s people.  I recognize God’s grace and kindness towards me in allowing me to serve as pastor of this church. 

I say all of this because it is easy for us as pastors to take our role for granted. We often fail to realize the importance of what God has called us to, and the privilege that is ours in serving his church.  And, we get distracted from what it is God has called us to do. Overtime, I have come to realize that God has not first of all called me to be a church growth expert, administrator, or CEO. God has called me to be a pastor—i.e. shepherd. That means leading, nurturing, and caring for the “sheep.”  It means leading those under my care where they need to go, giving them that which they need to eat for their own health and strength, and protecting them from harm.  The role of the pastor is not first of all that of fundraiser, motivator, or committee chairman. The pastor is to be a shepherd to the sheep. 

Moses understood the need for shepherds for God’s people.  In Numbers 27, he asked God to appoint someone to take his place after his death, “to go out and come in before them, one who will lead them out and bring them in, so the Lord’s people will not be like sheep without a shepherd.”  (Numbers 27:17-18 – NIV) Still today, God’s people need those who will serve as shepherds. 

I know that no church is perfect.  After all, churches are made up of imperfect people—including the pastor.  But, together we are on a journey of faith with Christ and with each other. Together we seek to accomplish God’s will for our lives, families, and community.  Together we strive to become the people God desires for us to be.  And, it is my privilege as a pastor to be a key player in all of that. It is my honor to be given the task of leading God’s people, shepherding them towards that which God has prepared for them, and helping them grow in their faith and love. 

So, thank you SFA for allowing me to be your pastor. And, thank you God for the blessing and privilege of living my life in this sacred position. It’s a privilege to be a pastor.

God bless you all. Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris


Comments