Shop-Pray-Love?

This morning as I was driving to the church office, I noticed a store that had opened with the name, “Shop-Pray-Love.”  When I saw it I asked myself, what do those three things have to do with one another? Is one supposed to pray as they shop, praying that they will find a great bargain? Are they supposed to love what they purchase once they are done shopping?  Are they supposed to pray and love while they shop or shop and love while they pray or shop and pray while they love?  I think you get what I mean; something just doesn’t seem to fit. 

And yet, maybe they do fit together.  After all, are we not called to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17) and to love at all times (Proverbs 17:17)?  Ought not our relationship with God, our love for him, as well as for others pervade all that we do?  Thus, whether we are in church, at home, at work, or out shopping, everything we do is affected by the fact that we claim to be followers of Jesus Christ. 

So often we tend to separate and disconnect the various components of our lives. Although we claim to be people who love God and love others, we fail to treat them the way we ought.  Although we claim to be people who know God and thus pray, we live our daily lives as if he did not exist.  So often we fail to incorporate the spiritual side of our life into the more mundane aspects of our lives, like shopping, and thus we end up living divided lives; lives that are defined by the word, hypocrisy.   

I don’t know the intent of the shop owner who named their store, “Shop-Pray-Love.”  But they have unknowingly reminded me today that no matter where I am or what I am doing, I need to remain connected to God and live my life in such a way that my love for him and for those around me is evident.  Thus, even while I shop, I must continue to pray and to love. 

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 – NIV) 

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” (Matthew 22:37-38 – NIV)

Have a great day!  Maybe go out and shop…and pray and love!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments