Love It or List It!

One of the TV shows I’ve come to actually like, although I don’t know why, is a show on HGTV, Love It or List It.   In the show, a couple has to make a decision whether or not they will keep their home after some major renovations or put it on the market in order to purchase a new home.  The tension of the story is built around the renovations that are taking place in the existing home (and all the things that can go wrong in the midst of such renovations) and the search for a new home that will meet all their needs (and demands!).  Thus, the couple is placed between a woman who is overseeing the renovations, hoping that they will “love it,” and a realtor who is trying to get them to “list it,” with the intent of purchasing one of the homes he has shown them.  I know, it’s all pretty crazy. 

Although many of the couples/families involved have some genuine needs (e.g. their family may have genuinely outgrown the space of the current home), so many of those involved seem to just want something new or better or more “open” (the “open concept” floor plan seems to be a catch phrase for everyone involved).  No one expresses any appreciation of the fact that, unlike millions of people around the world, they actually have a roof over their head, running water, electricity, and beds to sleep in.  Instead they are caught up in wanting a more modern kitchen, a larger “on-suite,” a remodeled staircase or fireplace, etc.  Again, some of the needs can be quite valid.  But many of those involved come across as spoiled, whiney, and quite unappreciative of all that they really do have. Few show any signs of contentment. 

What about us?  I know I can fall into the very same trap.  I can easily become unappreciative of so many of the blessings that God has placed into my life. As I see the nicer house down the block or the guy with the better car, my mind can begin to wander towards the proverbial greener grass.  Rather than give thanks for what I have, I can end up thinking about what I don’t have.  Somehow contentment begins to slip away. 

The Apostle Paul wrote, “But godliness with contentment is great gain.” (1 Timothy 6:6 – NIV)  The writer of Hebrews penned these words, “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’” (Hebrews 13:5 – NIV) 

I want to encourage you today to take some time to think about all that you do have; rather than what you don’t have.  Consider how God has taken care of you in so many different ways—even how he has helped you through the difficult times of your life.  Allow gratitude and contentment to fill your heart. 

Let’s not fall into the “Love It or List It” mentality! Instead, may you (and I) learn what it means to truly be content. 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

www.pifny.org

Comments