It's Not Over Until It's Over!

I’m not really a football fan.  I probably watch one or two games a year, including the Super Bowl.  So, I dutifully watched last Sunday’s game between the Seahawks and the Patriots.  I’m glad I did. If you watched the game, you know it was the game to see as the score bounced back and forth between the two teams.  Just when you thought the Patriots had the game in the bag, the Seahawks would come back. And, just when you thought the Patriots were done with, there was that final interception and they won the game!  At the end of it all, I was reminded of those famous words by Yogi Berra, “It ain’t over ‘til it’s over!” (Or, in better grammar, “It’s not over until it’s over!”)  How true!

I have to admit there have been quite a few times in my life when I’ve felt like I was done with—as if I had already lost the game.  Yet, somehow in his grace, God stepped in and seemed to intercept the ball on my behalf, giving me new hope and helping me continue on.  So many times in my life, God has stepped in to encourage me to not give up, to keep on playing, and reminding me that, although the middle of the game may be hard, if I will continue to trust him, the end result is going to be incredible.  After all, “It’s not over until it’s over!”

The Apostle Paul, after experiencing his share of difficulties and seeming defeats wrote these words: “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword…No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” (Romans 8:35, 37 – NIV)

Paul knew that the difficulties of this life are not the end of the story. Although we may lose some battles, the ultimate victory is yet to come. So rather than throw in the towel and walk away in defeat, Paul encourages us to put our trust in Christ, believing that in him we will be “more than conquerors.” And, he calls us to rest in Christ’s love, reminding us that, no matter what happens in this life, nothing can separate us from his love.

Let’s remember today: “It ain’t over ‘til it’s over!” 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments