No Eye Contact

I guess it’s a New York-North Jersey thing, but when walking through the park or on the street, few people, if any, are willing to make eye contact.  It really struck me the other day as I was doing my morning walk at the local park.  As I passed people by, I would look towards them to say, “Good Morning,” but only a small handful of them would actually look my way.  With the large majority of them, I could not make any eye contact at all.  It was as if we were all living in our own little worlds; as if the others around us did not exist.  (Of course, our iPods stuck in our ears don’t help at all!)

I know I might be the odd-man-out, but as I pass by people in the park or on the street, I tend to like to make eye contact and greet them. It’s not about the greeting itself but the fact that it causes us to feel like a community.  We connect to each other as we say as simple, “Good morning” or “Hello.”  Not only that, but when we acknowledge each other, we are reminded that the world around us is bigger than me, myself, and I!  Yet, for those of us who live in this New York metro area we realize that the standard on the street, in the elevator, on the bus or subway is, little to no eye contact.   That’s just the way it is. 

I’m glad, however, that when it comes to our relationship with God, such is not the case.  When we look his way, God always looks back.  As we turn our eyes towards him, he turns towards us with eyes filled with compassion, mercy, and love. 

The Bible instructs us to, “Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.” (1 Chronicles 16:11 – NIV) The Psalmist declared, “But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign LORD….” (Psalm 139:16- NIV)   In response, the Bible says, “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer….” (1 Peter 3:12 – NIV)  The Lord never turns away from those who look to him. He is always willing to engage with us, even to the point of answering our prayers. In fact, he seeks to make eye contact with us.

I want to encourage you today to make eye contact with God today. Take some time to look towards him, to seek his face, to talk to him.  I’m sure he will gladly and quickly look back your way. 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

ww.pifny.org

Comments