The Middle of the Summer

Here we are in the middle of the summer, a time of year I really do love.  I like the fact that some of the regular routines of the rest of the year are broken.  I enjoy the added moments with my family, especially the times we get to go away together.  I like being able to run outside without having to bundle up in boots and a heavy coat.   I love seeing the trees filled with green and the flowers that continue to grow.  I like cooking dinner on the grill.  And I like the opportunity summer brings to reflect on my life and the months that have just passed.  To me, summer is a great time of year. 

I have found, however, that summer is not only a time to rest, relax, and reflect. It is also a time to look forward and begin to anticipate what is to come.  Although the calendar year begins in January, for many of us the real start to our year is September as we go back to school, begin our church ministry year, come back from vacation and begin to dive in deeper to our life and work.  For me, the summer is just that, a time to prepare and look ahead.  And as I do, I realize I need God to guide me and help me plan according to his will for my life and ministry.  I need godly discernment in order to make the right decisions and set the right priorities. As I look ahead and begin to plan for the coming year (i.e. September 2014 through August 2015), I need godly wisdom. 

So here in the middle of the summer, as I reflect back on this past year and begin to look forward to the coming year, I am asking God for his wisdom.  I’m asking God to help me make the right choices, to set the right priorities, to plan my calendar and life according to his good and perfect will.

The Apostle James wrote, “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.”  (James 1:5 – NIV)  So here in the middle of the summer, I am praying for wisdom as I anticipate the upcoming year.  I want to encourage you to do the same.  As we do, I know he will answer our prayer. 

“Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.”  (Proverbs 24:14 – NIV) 

Have a great day!  Enjoy your summer! 

Pastor Tim Harris

www.pifny.org

Comments