My Father's World


Twenty-two years ago today my son, Jonathan, was born.  And just like this week, his birthday was in the middle of the US Open. In fact, I distinctly remember sitting in the hospital room with Jonathan in my arms, pointing his little head up towards the television as guys like Pete Sampras, Stefan Edberg, and Ivan Lendle battled it out on the tennis court.  And, I would say things like, “Did you see that shot?” “Isn’t that cool?” and “Some day you and I will go out and play tennis together.” I was introducing my newborn son to my world.

As time went on, I would take Jonathan, as well as my other children, to the tennis court, the beach, the mountains, the ice skating rink, the ski slope. We would go to the zoo, for hikes in the woods, and to the museums.  Of course, every Sunday I would take him/them to church (well, I was the pastor!).  Each night we would read a Bible story and pray.  Through it all, I was introducing my children to my world. I wanted them to know what was around them. I wanted them to experience many facets of life. Most of all, I wanted them to know the God whom I served.  

Our heavenly Father has created an incredible world for us to live in. Yes, it has been tainted by sin. But that does not negate how absolutely marvelous so much of our world still is or the fact that God yet wants us to enjoy his creation.  Unfortunately, too often we take our Father’s world for granted.

The Psalmist, as he looked at the world around him, almost shouted out, The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.” (Psalm 19:1 – NIV) and “O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens.” (Psalm 8:1– NIV)

Like little children, we need to allow ourselves to marvel at the bird’s song in the morning or the roar of the ocean or the crunching of the leaves beneath our feet. There are times when we need to pause and look and marvel at the world our heavenly Father has created for us. Every so often we need to stop and say to ourselves, “This is my Father’s world.”  And as we do, like the Psalmist, we ought to give him praise. 

I’ll be watching the US Open again this week. As I do I’ll be thinking about that newborn baby sitting on my lap, somewhat looking at images on a television screen that he couldn’t understand, as I hoped that someday he would learn to appreciate it all—as I began to introduce him to not only my world, but our heavenly Father’s world.

So happy birthday Jonathan! May you continue to enjoy and appreciate the incredible world that God has blessed us with. And, may that be the case for each one of us. 

Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris

“This is My Father’s World”  by Malthie D. Babcock

1.  This is my Father's world,
                  and to my listening ears
                  all nature sings, and round me rings
                  the music of the spheres. 
                  This is my Father's world: 
                  I rest me in the thought
                  of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
                  his hand the wonders wrought.

2.              This is my Father's world,
                  the birds their carols raise,
                  the morning light, the lily white,
                  declare their maker's praise. 
                  This is my Father's world: 
                  he shines in all that's fair;
                  in the rustling grass I hear him pass;
                  he speaks to me everywhere.

3.              This is my Father's world. 
                  O let me ne'er forget
                  that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
                  God is the ruler yet. 
                  This is my Father's world: 
                  why should my heart be sad? 
                  The Lord is King; let the heavens ring! 
                  God reigns; let the earth be glad!

Comments