The Son of Encouragement


I didn’t quite know what to make of him when I first met him.  When Kim’s Aunt Carol married Uncle Gordon, he was already in his mid to late seventies.  At that point, into our family gatherings walked this old-time preacher whose larger than life personality was equaled only by his height as he towered over just about everyone around him; whose deep and powerful voice seemed to indicate that he had no real need for our modern day amplification systems; and whose laugh echoed through a room as if we were sitting in a canyon. It seemed like he had a never-ending list of stories of ministry events, people he had met, places he had been, and especially of his trips to Norway.  I wasn’t quite sure what to make of Uncle Gordon. 

Over time, however, I began to develop a deep appreciation for who he was and the affect he had upon people.  Although the amount of times we were together was quite limited, I began to realize that when we were together, I never heard him speak a negative word.  He never complained. He never talked ill of others. And, he always had a positive word, a word of encouragement, for each person around him. This was especially significant to me during a time in my life when I was feeling quite down about myself and questioning many aspects of my life.  When I was at one of my lowest points, without knowing it, Uncle Gordon came along with just the right words, helping me begin to once again feel confident about who I am and God’s call upon my life.  Uncle Gordon became to me a personal “Barnabas," that, is, a “Son of Encouragement.”  (That’s the meaning of the name “Barnabas” found in the New Testament.)  

Over the past couple of years, Uncle Gordon and Aunt Carol had been receiving my weekly “Pastors Devotions.”  Every so often Aunt Carol would sent me back an email, thanking me for what I had written and letting me know how much Uncle Gordon enjoyed each one.  There were times when I would  come to a Friday morning when I didn’t feel like writing. But, Uncle Gordon would come to my mind and, knowing that he would be reading that week’s devotion (or have Aunt Carol read it to him), I would be inspired to sit down at my computer and begin to write.  (So, to some degree you can blame at least some of my writing on him!) 

This past week, at the age of 90, Uncle Gordon left this world for eternity with his God and Savior, the One whom he preached until he could preach no more.  At that moment, our world lost a larger than life “Barnabas,” a true “Son of Encouragement.” I am grateful for the encouragement he spoke into my life, especially at a time when I needed it most. And, I am reminded that as I grow older one of the greatest things I can do with my life is to learn how to encourage others. 

Thanks Uncle Gordon for the words you spoke into my life.  You were a real “Son of Encouragement!”

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up….” (I Thessalonians 5:11 – NIV) 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments