A Dying Battery



The past few weeks I’ve begun to have trouble with my Blackberry. It’s not that the phone doesn’t work properly. Rather, the battery keeps on dying in the middle of the day.  Whereas, previously I had to charge the phone once per day, now I need to charge it three to four times per day.  I have found it best to keep a charger with me at all times, never knowing when the battery will begin to die.  Hopefully the solution is simply a new battery.

It is amazing how in a relatively short time, we are all dealing with gadgets that need to be constantly charged (or is it recharged?).  At any given time, the power strip in our bedroom can have a phone or two, an ipod and/or ipad, and possibly a laptop.  My car has a phone charger, a GPS charger, and its own ipod charger.  Something seems to always be plugged in getting its battery charged.  Why? Because, batteries die.  Over time and with use, batteries just naturally lose their energy and power.

I’ve had plenty of times in my life when I’ve felt like I could use a new charge; times when it has felt as if my energy levels have dropped to near zero; when my enthusiasm and passion have waned. Worst of all, have been those times when it has felt as if my spiritual power has dropped to a new low.  I know you’ve experienced the same.  We all have those times when we need for a power source from outside of ourselves; times when we need the batteries of our lives recharged!

Jesus said, “But, you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you….”  (Acts 1:8 – NIV)  The Bible speaks about the believer, “…being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that (we) may have great endurance and patience….”  (Colossians 1:11 – NIV) And, the Apostle Paul prayed for the believers in this way:  “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being….”  (Ephesians 3:16 – NIV) 

Thankfully, God doesn’t get angry with us when we begin to feel like a dying battery. Rather, he invites us to come to him with our need and receive an outpouring of his life as we open ourselves to the ministry of his Holy Spirit.  He invites us to plug ourselves into him and have the batteries of our lives recharged with his divine power.  He calls us to come to him and be strengthened by the very same power that raised Christ from the dead! (Romans 8:11; Ephesians 1:19)

Do you feel like a dying battery?  Let God recharge your life today with his divine power! 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments