Off to College


It’s that time of the year again, time for college students all around the country to head back to school.  So it is in our home.  Yesterday we packed up Jonathan, our oldest son, said our goodbyes, and off he went to begin his final year.  In fact, this is the first time we were not actually moving him into his dorm room. (That in and of itself is strange.)  And, this coming week we will, for the first time, pack-up Nathaniel, our second son, and take him off to school to begin his college career.  I know already that, that day is going to be very hard for both Kim and me (as well as Joanna!). 

This whole experience is very bittersweet for me as a dad.  Of course, I want to see my children grow and mature and become independent.  I know I need to give them space to learn, to develop new relationships, and to experience life outside of my constant watch.  At the same time, I know that, that process does not come without its bumps and bruises.  These years that we call “young adulthood” or “the college years” are fraught with all kinds of difficult decisions, relational challenges, temptations of every sort, and lots and lots of pressure.  If I could, I’d protect my kids from the negative and only let them experience the positive. But that would not be healthy for them.  Nor, is it feasible—I don’t have that kind of power.  So, I do my best to watch from a distance, put in my two cents here and there (well, sometimes it’s probably more like a half-dollar), and then release them to themselves—actually, not merely to themselves, but to God’s watchful eye. 

That brings me to my point.  Is it possible that this process of letting go as a parent really does mean, as some say, “Letting go and letting God”?  As I drop them off at college or watch as they begin to make decisions more and more on their own, can I  trust that, although I may not be able to watch over them the way I used to, God their heavenly Father is still watching over them?  They may be moving out from under my watchful eye, but they never move out from under His.  And, in fact, He is a much better parent than am I. 

So, as I think about my boys going off to college, and the fact that next year Joanna will be doing the same, I try to remember Jesus’ words, applying them to them lives of my children: Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.  Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Luke 12:6-7 – NIV) 

Yes, each of my children is very valuable to God. He loves them and is more than able to take care of them.  And, He loves you and is able to take care of you as well. 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments