The Miracle Of a Seat

This past Monday, as I was traveling with our team from Promise International Fellowship to Nicaragua, I almost got bumped from our flight that was going from LaGuardia (in NYC) to Miami where we would get our connecting flight.  You see, through the kindness of someone in our church, I now normally fly American as an employee. That means a much better rate; but it also means flying on standby. 

When I got to our gate, I was told that, because of cancelled flights the night before, all of the flights from NYC to Miami were overbooked and that only one or two spots may open up for standbys.  Well, after everyone had been boarded, including our team, those of us who were on standby were told that the airplane was filled and that we needed to go to Gate 10 (we were at Gate 1) to see if we could get on the next flight that would leave an hour later. So, I did as told. 

When I got to Gate 10 no one was yet there, so I went for a cup of coffee. After about ten minutes I returned to the gate, met an agent and was told the flight was full and that I would have to wait for the next flight which would be another hour later (and that, that flight was probably filled as well).  But, as I walked away, I heard my name being called back to the gate’s desk. A woman called out to me, “Hurry up, a Spanish woman is looking for you.”  I asked, “Who? Where?”  She said, “I don’t know…Gate 3 or 5.”  So, I ran down to Gate 5. When I didn’t see anyone, I went quickly to Gate 3.  Again I didn’t see a “Spanish woman” who would have been looking for me.  Then I thought, let me run back to Gate 1, even though I was sure that my flight was long gone.  When I got there, the attendant, the “Spanish woman,” yelled to me, “Hurry up they held the plane for you. There is one more seat left!”  

Panting and bewildered, on got on the plane, sat down, wondering what had just happened.  How was it that this seat had opened up?  Why did the crew hold the whole flight for me? How did they find me and how did I find my way to them?  I almost started to cry as I began to sense deep in my heart that God had intervened to get me on this flight—not so much for my sake, but for the sake of our whole team; that we might fly together and arrive together  as the team we were supposed to be.

I know that God doesn’t always step into every little thing that happens in our lives so that we escape every bit of hardship and inconvenience that may come our way.  But, I as well know that there are times when he does—not just that we might live our lives free of inconvenience but for the greater purposes he has in mind; and sometimes simply as a reminder that he is watching over our lives with eyes of love. 

As I sat down in my seat, I was reminded that God is watching over my life.  For that I am grateful—whether or not I get bumped on my next flight. 

“Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they are.” (Matthew 6:26 – NIV)

Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments