Morning Coffee

Like many of you, my day doesn’t really start until I get my morning coffee.  During other times of the day I may another cup, but it’s not a necessity.  In the morning, however, I don’t want to take even a bite of food until I’ve gotten my first sip.  And, it’s not just about the caffeine.  It’s about the warmth and the taste—that “ahh” feeling one gets with that first sip of one’s morning coffee. 

Of course there may be some who are reading this who cannot relate.  In fact, my wife Kim doesn’t drink coffee; she doesn’t like the taste. So, she doesn’t quite get it when I say, I really need to taste coffee before anything else in the morning. To her it just doesn’t make sense. Yet, to me there is almost nothing better than having a cup of really good tasting coffee first thing in the morning.  I hate to admit it, but sometimes I even go to bed at night thinking about that first cup in the morning. 

The Psalmist expresses his early morning craving in Psalm 63.  He wrote, “God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.” (Psalm 63:1 – NIV)  Some translations read, “early will I seek you.”  That is, his early morning desire was for something more than a sip of coffee or bit of food or anything else that can be found in this life.  His early morning craving was for the presence of God. 

We all have things we desire in life, things that we really long for. Morning coffee is just a small and probably insignificant example.  Many of our cravings and desires are for things much bigger and more powerful—some of which are good and some of which may not be so good.  But whatever we crave, we will do our best to attain. 

What are you and I really longing for? Not just in the morning but throughout our day, and throughout our lives.  Let’s be like the Psalmist whose early morning craving was for God.  Ultimately, only he can meet the deepest desires of our heart. 

Let’s go after the right things. 

Have a good day…and go get another cup of coffee!

Pastor Tim Harris


Comments