Broken Branches

As I was working on my sermon this morning, I heard a huge “thud” that made me jump.  At first it sounded like something or someone had fallen in the unit next to us.  Then it dawned on me to go outside and look at the roof. Sure enough a great big branch, one that had been dangling from the oak tree behind the house, had finally broken off and landed on the roof.  This was the second big branch that came down since our October snow storm.  Thankfully, I don’t think it caused any damage—just a lot of noise. 

Some say that it can be good for the trees to have storms come through and blow down branches that are weak.  I’m not sure if that was the case with the October snow storm, but it may be so.  Of course, even if it is good for the trees it is not always good for us! After all, the trees don’t have to worry about the cleanup or the loss of power.  And, it is definitely not good for the individual branches. After all, once they are broken off from the trees, they quickly begin to wither and die. 

Looking at the branch that came down this morning, as well as all the dried up branches that are still lining our streets, I am reminded of the words of Jesus which I preached on at our churches just a few weeks ago: “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.” (John 15:5-6 – NIV)

As the branches that have been broken off from the trees are now lifeless and dry, so too, unless we stay connected to Jesus our spiritual lives will become lifeless and dry.  He is our source of true life.  He is the One through whom we experience spiritual and eternal life.  It is only through our relationship with him – his life flowing into us – that we can hope to live as we know we ought to live and produce the fruit that we know we ought to produce. 

Don’t become like that big branch sitting on my roof; don’t allow anything in this life to disconnect you from Jesus.  Rather, do whatever is necessary to live your life connected to him.  As you do, you will be like a branch filled with life and producing lots of good fruit. 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments