What's For Breakfast?


Most mornings I tend to eat a pretty standard American breakfast. I like my coffee – usually two cups, strong with just a drop of milk and half a teaspoon of sugar in each – and a bowl of cereal with some fruit. A couple of mornings a week I might have a bagel with either butter or strawberry cream cheese.  And every so often, I might have eggs or French toast or bacon or all of it!  Once in a while I might even cook the French toast for my family. (That’s really just once in a while. And, I never make pancakes. I leave that to Kim!)

This week, however, my morning routine was a bit different. I was taken to breakfast a few times by a very kind deacon from Promise Ministries and couple of the  pastors.  Although most of the time we went to a diner where I would get my normal breakfast foods, one day we went to a Korean restaurant for breakfast. When I asked what typical Korean breakfast foods are I was told, “The same thing we eat for lunch and dinner.”  So, one of the men I was with had hot spicy soup. The other had bibimbap – a small hot pot filled with rice, vegetables, meat and egg to be mixed together with some spicy red paste. I had a bowl of rice, beef ribs, and cabbage.  Obviously, it was not my normal breakfast. 

As I sat there eating my rice and meat, I was reminded that what is “normal” and “standard” for me is not necessarily so for others. In some parts of the world tortillas and rice and beans are common breakfast foods. For some it is bread and cheese. For others it is fish and rice.  Even within the same culture, we can have different tastes regarding what we find normal for breakfast (or lunch or dinner, for that matter). 

I want to remind us that, although we might eat different foods, there is one thing we all ought to be eating every day, the Word of God.  Although our cultures and tastes might dictate to us what is a “normal” and “standard” meal, each of us needs the nourishment of God’s Word to feed the deeper parts of our lives and to help us through our days.   

So, let me ask you, what’s for breakfast? For lunch?  For dinner?  The best meal of all is the Bible, God’s Word to you.  Read it and be nourished.

Jeremiah 15:16 - “When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight….”(NIV)

Psalm 119:103  -  “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (NIV)

Have a great day! 

-Pastor Tim Harris


Comments