An Incredible Friend

One of the most exciting things about embarking on a new place of work and ministry is the opportunity to make new friends. Although I am grateful for all the good friends I’ve had through the years, and I hope to keep many of those friendships alive, I realize that I am in a season of developing new friendships.

As I have begun to meet the people of Promise International Fellowship (PIF) and City Vine Church, sharing a meal or a having a cup of coffee, meeting in my office or at a table during  our post-service receptions, I have met some really great people who, up to this point, I didn’t even know existed. I know it’s early, but I can sense that God is bringing  a new set of people into my life – people with whom I can share life and do ministry; people whom I will soon consider as good friends.

I thank God for all the friends I have had through the years, many who are still good friends. And, I look forward to making lots of new friends in the weeks and months to come.  But, I’m also reminded of the fact that I have a Friend in heaven, for the Bible reveals God not only as a Father, but also as a friend.

The Apostle James referring to Abraham wrote, “…and he was called God's friend.” (James 2:23-NIV) Jesus said to his disciples, “I no longer call you servants…Instead, I have called you friends…” (John 15:15-NIV) To think that the Lord of the universe would us his friends! What an incredible thought!

Because of his great love and mercy towards us, we can sing, “I Am a Friend of God.”  We have a friend in heaven, one who “sticks closer than a brother.”  (Proverbs 18:24) What an incredible friend!

Have a great day!

-Pastor Tim Harris

Comments