Unpacking


This week my family and I moved to a rental home and had all of our “worldly goods” delivered by the moving company that had held it all for us in storage for the past four months. Before we knew it, we had a house filled with boxes and furniture. Although we did our best to tell the movers where to place everything, in the end, it felt as if the whole house was in complete disarray. All we could do was begin opening boxes and try to put things away piece by piece.

The only fun part of the whole ordeal was the fact that, because we hadn’t seen so much of our stuff for four months, as we unpacked the boxes each of us would react with expressions like, “Oh I remember this!” or “I’m so glad to have my _____ back!” or “Why did we keep this?” Just about each box held somewhat of a little surprise.

I find that every time I go to God’s Word, the Bible, it is like unpacking a box filled with all kinds of good stuff (i.e. not the stuff that causes you to say, “Why did I keep this?”). And, often it is filled with all kinds of surprises – or at least things that I have forgotten were there! As I read God’s Word it is often like discovering something that has been mine all along, but which has been packed away.

The Psalmist wrote, “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (Psalm 119:103 – NIV). The Prophet Jeremiah wrote, “When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight….” (Jeremiah 15:16-NIV) Finally, the Apostle Paul wrote, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
(2 Timothy 3:16-17-NIV)
  
I want to encourage you today to read God’s Word daily. He wants to speak into your life through it. God’s Word is filled with so much good stuff; if only we will take the time to unpack it!

Have a great day!

-Pastor Tim Harris




Comments