Hiding From the Storm


They say it’s common with dogs, but I’m amazed at how afraid our dog Mabel is of thunderstorms. Whenever she hears even the slightest bit of thunder in the distance, she immediately goes to one of our bedrooms to find what she must consider to be a safe spot. Sometimes even just the darkening of the sky is enough to cause her to go into hiding. 

It happened again the other morning. Even before the storm began, I found Mabel hiding next to the bed in my bedroom.  And when I got up to leave the room, Mabel followed, sticking closely to my side. I guess she felt that I could keep her safe—or, at least I gave her a sense of security. Sure enough the storm came with its flashes of lightening, roaring thunder, and pouring rain. And, Mabel just stayed next to me as I did my work, finding some sort of comfort in my presence.

The Psalmist wrote, “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." (Psalm 91:1-2-NIV) Apparently, when the storms of life found their way into his world, the Psalmist had his hiding place. He knew not only where to turn, but to whom to turn when he needed safety from the storm. God himself had become his place of safety. The Lord was his hiding place.

Where do you turn when the storms of life come your way? We all need a shelter to keep us safe. There are times when we need a place of comfort and rest. Thankfully, God has offered himself as that shelter. He invites us to rest by his side and receive his peace.

If today you hear the rumbling of storms, “rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”  He is glad to have you next to him.

Have a great day!

-Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments