Lessons From Israel - Part 2

After having spent a couple of days in Jordan visiting places such as Petra and Kerak Castle, on October 19th we crossed back into Israel by Jericho. After visiting the ruins at Jericho and Beth Shean, we drove to the Sea of Galilee (Lake Tiberias). There, in the late afternoon, we sat on the shore by an ancient jetty, one which gives evidence to a fishing industry having been on this part of the lake. It is said that it was probably there that Jesus first met his disciples such as Peter, James, John, and Andrew. And, it was most likely at that spot (or one very nearby) that the risen Christ met his disciples, after the disciples had spent the night fishing with nothing to show for it.

I remember on that particular day getting choked up twice. The first time was when we were crossing back into Israel from Jordan. For some reason, it felt like I was coming home. There was almost a sense of relief as the young man took my passport and welcomed me back into Israel. I realized that day that, I was probably the first person in my family (i.e. the Jewish side of my family) that was in Israel in probably 1,000 years or more. To me, that was a very significant thought. For some reason, in God’s providence, I was there walking the land that God had promised to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I was in the land that Moses had longed for. I was in the land for which Joshua and so many others had fought. It struck me that this was a great privilege to be able to visit this land which God had chosen for his people. The thought of it moved me to tears.

The second time I was moved to tears that day was by the Sea of Galilee. As I began to walk down towards the water, I could see in my mind’s eye Jesus, at the start of his ministry, calling his disciples to follow him and then, after his resurrection, sitting with his disciples by a fire, eating some freshly cooked fish, and asking Peter that penetrating question, “Do you love me?” As I stood at that spot, looking over the glistening waters of that famous lake, I was overwhelmed to think that I was standing where Jesus once stood in all of his resurrection power and glory. As I walked the shore, I heard the questions being asked of me, “Will you follow me?” and “Do you love me?”

As Christians we can get side-tracked by all kinds of things that pull us away from the most basic and most important parts of our faith. That day I was reminded of the connection we have with God’s people, going all the way back to Abraham, as we give ourselves to following Jesus, and just how significant that connection is. And, I was reminded of the great necessity for love to become intertwined with our faith. For we have not put our faith in a mere object but in a person, the person who has loved us like none other has ever loved us. Thus, time and again we must hear and respond to his call, “Follow me.” And, time and again we must answer the question asked by our Lord, “Do you love me?” Ultimately, our commitment to and love for our risen Lord Jesus is what being a Christian is really all about.

“But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ….Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens but fellow citizens with God’s people….” (Ephesians 2:13, 19 – NIV)

Have a great day!

-Pastor Harris

Comments